I missed the BC Timewalking weekend. This weekend I made sure to do the Wrath Timewalking dungeons for the weekend event. My impressions.
(1) Nostalgia. Having played through all of this, it was a fun memory trip. Unfortunately in five runs I only got to see three different dungeons – Nexus once, Halls of Lightning twice, and Ahn’kahet the Old Kingdom twice. And I’ve always disliked Ahn’kahet.
(2) Not too hard. It was certainly easier than when it was current content. In five PUG dungeon runs we haven’t had a single player death. I did come into a group recovering from a wipe, but I missed the bad part.
(3) Friendly groups. The people have been social and cordial. There has only been one hyper-critical jerk. When I joined a group recovering from a wipe, he was all frothing at everyone and screaming that no one knew Wrath dungeons. Then everyone linked their wrath achievements. So he dropped group. Other than that guy, its been smooth sailing.
(4) Good reward (for now). Since I am only doing LFR raiding right now, this is the first chance I’ve had to get normal-mode raid loot. I know that this reward will not be useful for long. I figure I have one more Timewalking event left to get an upgrade. In two months I either won’t need that loot or I’ll have given up trying for it.
(5) Getting dressed up! Since all gear is scaled down to iLvL 160, that means that you can wear ANY gear over iLvL 160 and it will be the same when it is scaled down. There is no benefit to wearing a LvL690 piece over a LvL 200 piece.
That means that gear-hoarders like me get to flip through our bank tabs and Void Storage looking for something nice to wear. This could be purely cosmetic or trying to min/max the system. The word on the webs is that gems and procs are advantageous in the scaling process. So if you’re trying to really kill the damage meters (5000 dps! Gasp!) then you’ll want lots of gem sockets and good procs. I pulled out my old Fangs of the Father legendary daggers from Cata and my legendary cloak from Mists. Later I’ll put more thought into customizing an outfit.
I’m already looking at the calendar to see when the next Timewalking weekend is. This was a nice move, Blizzard.