I’m very patient. I don’t gripe in party chat. I don’t call people noobs. I don’t tell people how bad they are playing. I generally stay silent, respawn after a wipe, then go back and do my thing but try and do better.
I tolerate both the good and the bad in LFD groups. Sometimes you get a great group, sometimes you don’t. That’s life.
That said, my problems with Grimrail Depot are not from the players or the inevitable griping and drama that comes with a run through this hellish place. This is all Blizzard’s fault. I have now run Grimrail Depot three times – twice as a healer and once as dps. I will never run it again. Here’s why.
- After making the game more and more of a solo affair, pushing us into LFD and LFR and Garrisons and reducing any need to communicate, the first boss in Grimrail Depot actually requires some form of coordination. Since most players have been trained by Blizzard to run in and pull without fear, this inevitably leads to drama. Who is killing what? Why did you kill the little guy first?
- When on the train, during trash packs there is fire everywhere. I’m a good little player – I’ve learned to run out of fire. But wait! We’re in a narrow little corridor with no room to maneuver. So we get caught in fire no matter how much we want to get out of it. Sorry healers.
- Line of sight. Take one wrong step, and you’re out of sight of the healer. Let the finger-pointing commence.
- The second boss is the biggest mess of any instance boss I can remember. The Dungeon Journal – a real advance in the game – gives no real clear advice on what the heck is going on in that fight. I’ve done it three times and I still don’t have a clear idea of what I’m doing.
- The sliding backward thing during the second boss? Whatever developer came up with that should have to sit on a rolling chair on an inclined floor while he tries to do work at Blizzard HQ.
In three times through this instance I’ve totaled about 18 wipes. It doesn’t matter how patient I am, that’s more than I can take. Thanks, Blizzard, but I’ll pass on this one.