The topic of “mandatory” dailies has had a lot of legs. These discussions go on and on and don’t die.
Personally, I’m tired of dailies. However, I see that in my gaming style they are not mandatory so I simply stopped doing them. My main is Revered with Golden Lotus and Klaxxi and Exalted with Tillers. That’s it. I’ll continue working on rep very gradually on my main over the next few months in between other activities, and that’s good enough for me. I won’t do the dailies at all on my alts.
My raid team is short a healer. In order to fill that gap, I took time off from my rogue to level my resto druid. I hit 90 with him late Monday night. He needs to be geared and ready to go in short order. How do I do that without dailies/VP gear?
In the span of three days I got him from quest greens to raid-ready without doing any dailies. Here’s how:
- First, I did quested out the entire Dread Zones area. That gets me an iLvL 450 shoulder and belt as quest rewards.
- Crafted: Wildblood Vest and Wildblood Gloves (iLvL 476). Expensive if you have to buy them, but cost is minimal to craft them yourself if you have the 11 Spirits of Harmony, as I did on my rogue leatherworker. Note that I had previously done the rep grind on that toon to get that recipe. If I was totally avoiding dailies on all characters, I’d need to find someone else to craft it for me.
- Crafted: Band of Blood x 2 (iLvL 450) and Tiger Opal Pendant. Also somewhat pricey to buy, but cheap to craft yourself.
- Justice Points used to purchase iLvL 458 bracer, cloak, and legs (4750 JP total, so I bought two then grabbed the third after running a few dungeons for more JP)
- Did the Sha of Anger world boss to get iLvL 476 boots
- Purchased Ghost Iron Dragonling (iLvL 450) and cogwheels from the AH for just a few hundred gold
- Ran the Arena of Annihilation scenario to get an iLvL 450 weapon
- My one big ticket purchase was the off-hand Inscribed Red Fan (iLvL 476), which ran me 4500 g.
These items are specific to my healer, but there are equivalent items for every class. All that got me to an overall item level in the 450’s. Then I ran a few heroics to fill in what I was missing and get me to the 460 mark where I can run LFR. I still could get a tier drop from Sha of Anger. I could also buy the Relic of Chi Ji to get that extra iLvL boost, but that’s about 23k gold on my server.
All of this took three days after hitting the level cap, and didn’t even cost much gold except for the off-hand. I haven’t done any dailies or worked on any rep. If I hadn’t been able to craft the Wildblood pieces myself it would have cost a bit more.
Now, if I were aiming to push progression and get into heroic raids quickly, then I might be more concerned about rep rewards and VP gear. However, for a player who is aiming to start in LFR raids and then move into normal mode raids, what I’ve done shows that dailies and rep grinds are not mandatory.