I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
– Obi-Wan Kenobi
Work and work for love and sex
Ain’t you hungry for success, success, success, success
Does it matter? (Shattered) Does it matter?
– The Rolling Stones
Today the world is destroyed and remade.
I’ve got to admit, I’m feeling a little sad and nostalgic. Even though I know that this is a smart move on the part of Blizzard, I still can’t help but feel a bit wistful.
I’ve been playing this game for over five years now. Its been my escape when life is tough and my source of fun when I needed a pick-me-up. Its been an addiction of sorts, but not in a destructive way. I’m still married. I still have a job. And I have four level 80’s, three of whom are ICC geared.
I still remember the first time my night elf rogue stepped off the docks at Auberdine. The detail of the dock caught my attention immediately – the way the wood sagged with clear signs of age, and the appearance of the town being so surrounded by trees. Today that is swept away.
People don’t react well to change. Folks get upset when their favorite restaurant changes their menu. Customers complain when the cable TV company changes the order of the channels. Most of us get angry when our job changes policies, even if they are minor things like dress code or lunch hours. We all get into routines and change unsettles us.
Last night when I logged on I didn’t do any of my usual rep grinding and I didn’t run any instances. I didn’t do any of the pre-cataclysm events. Instead, I got onto a hippogryph and just started clicking flight points. I flew all over Azeroth, my finger hovering over the Print Screen button. I snapped shots of Wetlands, Auberdine, Stranglethorn Vale, and a dozen other places that will be forever changed when I log on this afternoon.
Its bittersweet, but exciting at the same time.
Other Shattering-related things:
- My 8 year old son has a character the he plays once a month or so. He heard us talking about the Cataclysm. He asked if he could log in to move his character. My son explained that he left the character in Auberdine, and he doesn’t want him to be swept out to sea in the Cataclysm.
- At least one person in my guild suggested logging out in Zul’Gurub to see where you would be when you logged in today.
- In guild chat last night we talked about the shattering happening today. I was surprised to see how many people didn’t know that it was coming. They confused the shattering of the world with the patch, so they had no idea anything was changing before December 7th. It reminds me how many of the players really don’t pay any attention to WoW other than the time that they are in-game.
- I anticipate a lot of new class combinations being made today, so I have refreshed my supply of glyphs on the auction house. I’m stuck just short of my pre-expansion gold target, so hopefully this will put me over the edge.
- I’ve been a bit annoyed that the elemental invasion in Ironforge is still bugged. I’d think that it would be a priority to get that right since it is a one-time event.
- I hope that Deathwing is flying around for the next couple of weeks. For those who didn’t watch the Live Raid during Blizzcon, you’re in for a shock. He is huge. What we currently think of as “large” dragons like Sindragosa or Nefarian are simply dwarfed by him.