Word on the virtual street is that Patch 3.3 is dropping next Tuesday. Among all the other stuff (new LFG, quest tracker, faster rep gains, BoA head & shoulder enchants) here’s the summary of what you rogues can expect.
I detailed the rogue class changes in an earlier post, but here’s a refresher…
- Improved Poisons now increases the chance to apply Deadly Poison to your target by 4/8/12/16/20%. (Up from 2/4/6/8/10%)
- Deadly Poison now has an additional effect – Once stacked to 5 times, each application of Deadly Poison also causes the poison on the Rogue’s other weapon to apply.
- Murder now increases all damage by 2/4%. (Old – Only affected Humanoid, Giant, Beast and Dragonkin targets)
- Filthy Tricks now reduces the cooldown of Preparation by 1.5/3min. (Down from 2.5/5min)
- Preparation cooldown has been lowered from 10 to 8 min.
This next one isn’t specifically rogue, but may impact our FoK spam…
- Area-of-Effect Damage Caps: We’ve redesigned the way area damage is capped when hitting many targets. Instead of a hard cap on total damage done, the game now caps the total damage done at a value equal to the damage the spell would do if it hit 10 targets. In other words, if a spell does 1000 damage to each target, it would hit up to 10 targets for 1000 each, but with more than 10 targets, each target would take 1000 damage divided by the number of targets. 20 targets would be hit for 500 damage each in that example.
- Dual Wield: Rogues now know this ability upon logging into the game at level 1.
- Stealth: This ability no longer has multiple ranks. While active, the single rank of this ability (available at level 1) allows rogues to move at 70% movement speed.
- Starting weapons are now more uniform. Rogues now start with a pair of daggers equipped
First, there is a new 5-man instance opening, Frozen Halls. It has 3 wings with 7 bosses, so its big for a 5-man. On normal mode is drops iLvL 219 loot, which is comparable to Ulduar 10. In heroic mode it drops iLvL 232 loot, which is what you would get from Ulduar 10 hardmodes or from ToC 10.
The wing is Forge of Souls, and its first boss is Bronjahm. On normal (iLvL 219) he drops Bewildering Shoulderpads. On heroic (iLvL 232) he can drop a 1H Axe, Nighttime or a Thrown Weapon (gasp!) Papa’s Brand New Knife.
Second boss in the Forge of Souls is called The Devourer of Souls. From this encounter on normal mode you can get a new iLvL 219 dagger, Heartshiver. On heroic mode, you are hoping for a better dagger, Blood Weeper, or the Frayed Scoundrel’s Cap as a new head slot item (that maybe doesn’t look like a ghoul’s head). Also available is the trinket, one of the most elusive gear drops, called Needle-Encrusted Scorpion.
From there you’ll go to the next wing, which is called the Pit of Saron. The first boss there is Forgemaster Garfrost. If you down him on normal mode , you’re looking for Flayer’s Black Belt or a new ring, called Ring of Carnelian and Bone. On heroic level you can get a new iLvL 232 neck slot – Barbed Ymirheim Choker.
The last boss in the Pit of Saron is Scourgelord Tyrannus. On normal mode you can grab the Shaggy Wyrmleather Leggings. There is also a Rimebane Rifle if your hunters pass on it. Heroic Tyrannus has a better leg slot item – Fleshwerk Leggings. Also, he drops an iLvL 232 ring, the Band of Stained Souls.
Once you have cleared the Pit of Saron you’ll move on to the third and final wing, the Halls of Reflection. Your first boss encounter there is Falric. We haven’t seen any sword drops until now, but on normal node you can claim a 2.6 speed sword (finally! a sword!), Ghoulslicer. On heroic mode he can give the Spaulders of Black Betrayal (cool name).
When you get past Marwyn, you’re up to the last boss in Frozen Halls. That’s right, its Arthas himself! OK, you don’t actually fight him here, but I’ll leave the details of the encounter for another time. In any case, there’s some good loot to be had. On normal mode there is an axe (Hate-Forged Cleaver) a bow (Crypt Fiend Slayer) and a chest slot item (Blackened Geist Ribs) that sounds like a recipe. On heroic mode, the iLvL 232 loot includes a mace (Black Icicle) a 1.5 speed sword (Liar’s Tongue) or some boots (Blighted Leather Footpads).
No fist weapon drops? Have no fear. There is a trash drop on heroic mode for an iLvL 232 Seven Fingered Claws. There is also yet a dagger drop from trash on heroic mode, the 1.4 speed Unsharpened Ice Razor.
If you’ve done any significant raiding lately, most of these will not be big upgrades, if they are upgrades at all. Some may be sidegrades that are itemized in ways that you prefer over your previous gear, so make sure to use your dps spreadsheet to evaluate your gear.
I’ll do a separate post later on some of the 10/25 man raid gear. Right now the loot lists are incomplete, so we’ll need to wait for some runs to get through the available parts before being sure what is there. And I’ll also work on rogue strategy guides as soon as I get a chance to taste these fights myself.