We threw a group together for 10-man Onyxia tonight. Of the 10, four had fought her pre-BC (I am not one of them). That made it easy to explain the fight, since the mechanics are essentially the same.
I won the roll for her head and got the Sparkling Onyxia Tooth Pendant – my first piece of iLvL 245 gear.
A couple of quick notes for rogues…
- Phase 1 is super-easy tank-n-spank, but don’t let that fool you. It gets tougher.
- Don’t attack the elite Dragonkin that come out in phase 2. They demolish melee attackers with an ability called Ignite Weapon. Leave them to ranged classes.
- Despite the nerf in the patch, FoK spam is not dead. Every time we got a whelp group, I hit FoK until my keybindings were ready to blow up. My dps totals were huge.
- TotT is awesome for helping a tank gather up whelps during phase 2.
- If you have your camera angled upward you can see where Onyxia is going to aim her Deep Breath during phase 2.
- I wasn’t able to prevent Onyxia’s fears with CoS in phase three. I might have been mis-timing it, because we had a lot of lag. And Evasion didn’t keep me from getting tail-swiped, either.
All in all its a very fun fight. Its certainly easy enough to be puggable if there are a few people in the raid who can explain it well. There are plenty of opportunities to make dumb mistakes (not avoiding Deep Breath, meleeing the elite dragonkin, running into a whelp cave, etc) so a lot of pugs will fail early on, I suspect.