This is part of a series of posts about the role of rogues in Ulduar. The focus is on 10-man raids, but on occasion mention will be made about 25-man strategies as well. This is not meant to be a general strategy guide. It is completely targeted at rogues, their abilities, and their strengths in specific combats. Much of what is written could apply to other melee dps as well.
Flame Leviathan is the first boss in Ulduar. He is generally considered easy if you are not attempting one of the hard modes. The entire lead-up to the fight and the majority of the boss fight itself are done in vehicles. You won’t get to use any of your rogue-y abilities at all!
So why write a rogue guide for the boss?
There are certain roles that might appeal to rogues. Particular vehicles are good for the rogue mindset.
The three vehicles are the Siege Engine, the Demolisher, and the Chopper. The Siege Engine and the Demolisher also have seats for gunners. So you have the option of five different roles in this fight.
Let me clearly state that any class can do any of these roles. The only caveat to that is that the gunner in the demolisher should probably be ranged dps since they will get launched onto Flame Leviathan. However, melee dps can do this as well.
- Siege Engine Driver: follow right behind the boss as he moves (sounds rogue-ish). Ram him from behind (hmmm). Use Electroshock to interrupt his Flame Vents cast (like Kick). Turn and use a speed burst to get away when he targets you (Sprint!).
- Siege Enginer Gunner: pure dps… fire Anti-Air Rockets to shoot down flyhing targets. Fire the Steam Cannon at the boss to do tons of damage. Use the Shield Generator (like a bubble) to protect the Engine.
- Demolisher Driver: follow farther behind the boss and Hurl Boulders and Pyrite Barrels to dps the boss. Turn and run when the boss targets you. Periodically Launch your gunner onto the boss (you do have to aim – don’t miss).
- Demolisher Gunner: use Anti-Air Rockets to shoot down flying targets. Fire mortars at the boss for good damage. Pick up Pyrite Barrels for fuel. Give your vehicle a Speed Burst if needed to get away from Flame Leviathan. Load yourself into the catapult to be launched onto Flame Leviathan, where you will dps the turrets until they are destroyed. Ranged dps is better for this since they can target both turrets. Melee can only target the turret they are standing on. Still, as long as you launch two people (and they don’t miss) melee can be effective.
- Chopper Driver: put down tar in front of the boss. Do small amounts of damage with your Sonic Horn. Pick up people who are not in a vehicle and heal them before bringing them someplace to get into a gunner’s seat. This is particularly important when the people who dps the turrets get thrown to the ground.
As you can see, the role that is most rogue-like is the Siege Engine driver. You dps the boss from right behind, interrupt his casts, and sprint away if he targets you. A Demolisher driver is a pure dps role as well, but from range so it feels more hunter-y than rogue-y. A Siege Enginer gunner does a heck of a lot of damage, but that’s basically all they do.
Again, anyone can do any role and I encourage you to try them all. I enjoy the ones that feel most familiar to me. I think I have been a Demolisher driver every time I have done this fight, because there are more people who want to be in the Siege Engine.
On 25 man the roles are the same, but there are four turrets on Flame Leviathan rather than two, and the people up there hitting them take damage so one of those launched should be a healer. Sorry, rogues.