First I want to say that I don’t feel driven to get all of the achievements. Someone will read the title of this post and say, “well just don’t do them” and that person would be correct. In most cases I am not doing them. But there are a few that intrigue me because they are related to things I do anyway, like fishing and questing and raiding.
Last night my wife and I set out to run around and do some of the exploration achievements. We spent three hours in Kalimdor.
- I got to see some areas of Azeroth I may never have seen otherwise, because it is a horde area or because I just skipped it while leveling. Orgrimmar, Durotar, parts of Stonetalon Mountains, etc…
- It was a break from leveling my alt, which is what I would have been doing otherwise.
- It was a nostalgia trip, as we ran through Azuremyst Isle saying, “I remember this place” and “These were fun quests.”
I had a fun sneaking into Orgrimmar to catch a fish there. I was lucky… I got there just as someone without stealth was trying to do the same thing. So that person got naked, mounted up, and ran through the entrance, dragging all of the guards with him. With the guards gone, I just stealthed right in, no problems. Made my way to the Valley of Spirits. Came out of stealth behind a pole, caught a fish, then stealthed out. Got spotted by a guard on the bridge and jumped into the river.
- Running on a ground mount is a chore when you are used to an epic flyer.
- Its frustrating when you have one spot in a zone left undiscovered and you can’t find it. (Tel’athian’s Camp on Bloodmyst Isle took us forever to find)
- Some of the old world content is just… bad.
When I say that some old world content is bad, I cite as evidence Wailing Caverns.
We looked at the achievement and it said we had to kill one boss. So we ran in there figuring we could knock that out in a few minutes. I had completely forgotten that you had to kill four other bosses before he would spawn.
That instance is a nightmare. Worst instance ever, in my opinion. It took a group of three level 70 toons an hour to finish it. Why? Because its impossible to navigate. The tunnels curve above and below each other. You can’t find anything. You get lost, and find yourself running past the same mobs over and over. Even a map add-on doesn’t help because of the criss-crossing of the tunnels.
I wanted to give up and hearth out after forty minutes. But by that time I was firmly in the grip of “I’ve invested this much time, it would be silly to stop now” thinking.
After last night I don’t feel a driving need to continue the exploration achievements. But I probably will. Because one thing in WoW that always draws you in is the “I’m half done so I might as well finish” rationale. Besides, it gives me something to do as a change of pace or when I am too distracted to run an instance.