You’re a sneaky murderer who destroys your opponents from behind with your quick-hitting daggers and powerful poisons. You’re an assassination rogue.
You’ve leveled to 85 and have run a bunch of heroics to upgrade your gear. Its time to put on the big boy pants and hit the raids.
Lets look at what you need to check.
#1 – Spec
You probably want to spec into something like this… 31/2/8. There is some room to play with a few of those points without taking a hit to your damage, but the main talents are there.
#2 – Gems
You want to match all socket colors if the socket bonus is +Agility. If the socket bonus is anything else, then it is probably worthwhile to use the Delicate Inferno Ruby instead and forgo the socket bonus.
- Red sockets will get the Delicate Inferno Ruby (40 Agi)
- Yellow sockets get either the Adept Ember Topaz (20 Agi/20 Mastery) or the Deft Ember Topaz (20 Agi/20 Haste)
- Blue sockets get the Glinting Demonseye (20 Agi / 20 Hit) if you are below the poison hit cap. If you are above that number, then you might consider going with a red gem in a blue slot, unless you need the blue gems to activate your metagem.
- Meta sockets – Agile Shadowspirit Diamond.
#3 – Enchants
- head – Arcanum of the Ramkahen (revered with Ramkahen faction)
- shoulder – Greater Inscription of Shattered Crystal (exalted with Therazine faction) (or Swiftsteel Inscription if you have inscription)
- back – Greater Critical Strike or Major Agility (or Swordguard Embroidery if you are a tailor)
- chest – Peerless Stats
- wrists – Greater Speed (or the Draconic Embossment if you are a LW)
- hands – Greater Mastery
- waist – Ebonsteel Belt Buckle with a Delicate Inferno Ruby
- legs – Dragonscale Leg Armor (from LW)
- feet – Major Agility
- weapon (both) – Landslide
#4 – Reforging
- First, gem your gear. Then check to see if you are at the poison hit cap.
- If you are not at the poison hit cap then start reforging your weaker stats (crit first, then haste) into hit rating
- Once you are at the poison cap, then reforge the rest of your pieces to reduce crit or haste and add mastery
#5 – Glyphs
#6 – Consumables
- Your flask of choice right now is Flask of the Winds
- For a short-term dps boost carry a stack of Potion of the Tol’vir
- For now your food buff can come from Skewered Eel or possibly a Fortune Cookie Eventually, your raid will have the Seafood Magnifique Feast
#7 – Rotation
If you are fortunate to have a boss that stands still and lets you stab him, you can settle into a nice rotation. It goes like this:
- Get SnD started
- Mutilate to 4+ combo points
- Rupture if its about to expire, Envenom otherwise. Do not let Rupture fall off. Your Venomous Wounds keeps energy flowing. Without Rupture ticking you’ll be energy starved.
- At 35% health, switch to backstab as a combo point builder. Continue to use Envenom/Rupture as finishers
None of this makes you a good rogue. It does, however, make you a well-prepared rogue and gives you the best chance to have a good showing in your raids. Good luck, and rock those damage meters! Remember that a dead rogue does no dps!