Yay! New gear! Getting a nice gear upgrade is one of the feel-good moments in the game. When you have been raiding a while and don’t have many upgrades available, its especially rewarding.
I got three new items in one 24 hour period this weekend. I was the only rogue in our Gruul raid, so I took the Shuriken of Negation when it dropped (even though I may still use my Felsteel Whisper Knives for the hit rating). Then I bought my last Heart of Darkness and crafted my Swiftstrike Shoulders. Finally, I bought the Belt of the Silent Path for 75 Badges (breaking up my Primalstrike set).
The downside of all of this is trying to figure out the gems, enchantments, glyphs, and inscriptions. Here’s the way this went yesterday…
- Got new shoulders… need to put the Greater Inscription of the Blade on them. Darn! I stopped collecting Arcane Tomes once I hit exalted with Scryer, and I need 8 of them to make Arcane Runes to buy the inscription. /sigh – had to spend 75g at the auction house for the tomes.
- I had a new belt, and it has a yellow gem slot! Need a Rigid Dawnstone. Fortunately, our guild JC had one lying around, so that saved me 30g.
- Since I am equipping my Swiftstrike Shoulders in place of the Netherblade Shoulderpads, now I needed to wear my Netherblade Facemask to keep the very useful two-piece T4 set bonus. Spent time in Outfitter changing the gear around for my various outfits.
- I have switched around a bunch of gear… do my gems still meet the requirements of the meta gem in my helm? Yes they do. Whew. Re-gemming would be expensive.
- Hmmm… looks like my stats are lower than they should be. Is it possible that I just spent all those badges and gold and actually lowered my dps? What am I missing… aha! I never put the Glyph of Ferocity on my T4 helm since it was just sitting in the bank. Flew over to the Cenarion quartermaster to pick that up (for 90g). That missing AP and hit rating really stood out in my overall numbers
- Which to equip? Felsteel Whisper Knives or Shuriken of Negation? Hit rating vs Attack Power? Blue vs purple? Time to go into the various dps modelers. Both the Elitist Jerks spreadsheet and Warcrafter give a slight edge to the Felsteel Whisper Knives. Remember rogues… hit rating is good.
That was quite a process. Sometimes its easier to just keep the same gear.
Next upgrade: either Angelista’s Revenge for 60 badges, or the Shard of Contempt if I can bring myself to do heroic MgT. I suppose I could get lucky and Gruul could drop the Dragonspine Trophy, but I’m not counting on that.